Career Opportunity : Research Associate Job Description
Employment Vacancy : Innovations for Poverty Action Job Recruitment
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Job Title: Research Associate – Tax Compliance Project
Reporting To: Research Manager
Start Date: 1st February, 2019
Duration: 7 Months
Deadline to Apply: 31st December, 2018
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
Project Summary: The Tax Compliance project is working on research activities with a view to build evidence on effective and sustainable approaches to increase revenue collection and improve tax compliance.
The studies aim to evaluate innovative solutions to increase tax compliance for small and medium firms and expect that these studies will provide rigorous and
independent evidence on the impact of alternative innovations with a view to build evidence on ffective and sustainable approaches to increase revenue collection and improve tax compliance.
Results rising from these studies could then inform the implementation of broader initiatives that would replicate at a larger scale the most successful interventions.
Position Summary: The Research Associate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya while field visits will be in Nairobi and other select regions. The Research Associate will take a lead role in collecting data in the field, managing a field team, managing large databases, piloting survey instruments and the interventions. The Research Associate will work independently and maintain regular communication with the PI.
The position requires excellent interpersonal and organization skills. It also requires proficiency with Stata. Familiarity with other data management and statistical packages is a plus. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in the development and piloting of survey instruments and conducting pre-tests and pilots.
- Coordinate, and occasionally conduct, qualitative and quantitative interviews with selected firms and businesses
- Working closely with partners and liaising between all stakeholders to ensure all project interests are aligned and accounted for.
- Manage relationships with staff at the partner organization, including regular follow-ups and meetings
- Ensuring all data quality protocols are followed including auditing staff and performing regular data checks on collected data
- Design forms for electronic data collection (using Survey CTO) and manage survey data;
- Ensure all aspects of data quality by overseeing the implementation of data quality protocols including daily quality checks and data security and sharing;
- Take a lead on data cleaning, preliminary analysis (as directed by the PI and RM) as well as data management on the project;
- Writing regular progress reports and leading project meetings to ensure deadlines are met.
- Work closely with the Research Manager and Grants Manager in managing donor deliverables and assist with donor reporting and proposal writing for new grants;
- Manage project staff hiring; prepare project staff hiring adverts, work with the HR department on screening and assist in conducting project interviews;
- Maintain regular communication with the Principal Investigators, keeping them updated on the progress. And will also maintain and constantly update the project log;
- Overall finance oversight on the project including financial tracking, reporting and budget management;
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferable.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative and qualitative skills
- Assertive personality and demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations and government entities
- Demonstrated experience managing research projects required.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Those who had previously applied need not to re-apply.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Research Associate-Tax Compliance Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.