Career Vacancy : PACIDA Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Communication Officer Job Recruitment
Pastoralist Community Initiative and Development Assistance (PACIDA)
Position: Communication Officer
Job Location: PACIDA Head office, Marsabit County
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Duration: One Year with possibility of extension based on performance
Organizational Background: The Pastoralist Community Initiative and Development Assistance (PACIDA) is an indigenous, nonsectarian, non-profit making organization committed to linking emergency, rehabilitation and development in pursue of sustainable pastoralist development.
PACIDA works with marginalized pastoralist and agropastoralist populations in the arid and semi-arid areas in Kenya and Southern Ethiopia to end poverty and hunger and provide sustainable durable solutions to the challenges affecting the vulnerable communities. PACIDA respects strict political and religious impartiality and operates according to principles of nondiscrimination and transparency.
Our interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development through a contextualized multidisciplinary approach. Adopting a community-based approach, PACIDA works towards ensuring that the poorest and most vulnerable pastoralist communities have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH), Sustainable Livelihoods, Peace and Governance, Education and Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change and Adaptations.
In order to fulfill its mandate, PACIDA is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of Communication Officer.
About the role; The Communications officer will be responsible to raise PACIDA’s profile through effective content management of all PACIDA programmes.
The role holder will identify and share best stories, case studies that show how PACIDA and partners are changing lives of the vulnerable communicties through its programmes. The post holder will write, edit and commission a varied mix of content including case studies, interviews, blogs, photos and films in line with PACIDA’s communication guideline to show the value and impact of our programmes.
About the Candidate: We are looking for a candidate with a high level of commitment to communication management. S/he should have relevant experience in communications in the field of humanitarian response, disaster risk reduction or disaster preparedness programming.
The role is a key in providing the core team a structured communication management system and work with the programme team to ensure partnerships and programmes are managed effectively. The candidate should possess excellent time and project management skills, coupled with high level of multi-tasking and situational awareness.
S/he should have good editorial skills, high proficiency in written/spoken English and ability to translate complexities into material that is compelling, jargon-free and accessible. Possession of Monitoring and Evaluation skills are an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
Based in Marsabit and reporting to the Programs & Partnership Director, the incumbent’s duties and responsibilities will include:
Documentation and Project Communications
- Manage knowledge documentation; Spearhead documentation strategies and support documentation and publication of work and lessons learned to help develop corrective measures for project implementation.
- Support report preparation for the project that ultimately addresses best practices, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Develop and coordinate framework to document stories to share about the project maintaining an effective social media presence for the organization through blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other means as appropriate; in the media.
- Work in collaboration with the PACIDA Project Managers and Officers to gather stories, photos and videos to support the organization’s communications strategy
- Write and produce high quality communications materials and effectively communicate these across key audiences while ensuring that they conform to the organization’s standards and promote the image and objectives of the organization
Corporate Communications and Media
- Create and execute publicity plans to improve the visibility of PACIDA programme.
- Create communication collaterals (media brief, press release, etc.) for distribution to media and other target audiences
- Liaise with media and partners as the media contact for the organization
- Draft and create organizational collaterals for public consumption in a timely manner (handouts, brochures, flyers, Annual Reports etc).
- Assist in the administration, content management and maintenance of the organizational website and online/social media platforms
- Assist in the content management, content layout, production and dissemination of the organization’s eNewsletter to promote the visibility of the project/organization
- Multimedia content development
General Program Support / Fundraising
- Support the Programme Coordinator in development and Fine tuning of new proposals and fundraising opportunities
- Work in collaboration with the Program Managers to support fundraising, Monitoring and Evaluation and reporting for the project; including creating tools to track individual and project progress.
- Develop program specific materials including organizational briefs etc. on an on-going basis, in consultation with the Program Managers and other project staff.
- Ensure effective communications across different media and formats in adherence to the organization’s standards.
- Work to enhance internal and external communication through various communication platforms.
- Communicate clearly and in a timely fashion with external audiences; either face to face, through email and telephone conferences where appropriate, and using any other forms.
- Reviewing organizations documentation before sharing with the outside world including, reports, proposals etc.
- A graduate degree or equivalent in mass communication, social science or its equivalent from any reputed university and at least three years’ experience in national/ international NGO or aggressive organisation in a similar position.
- Experience working in a professional capacity related to fundraising in developing countries.
- Experience in a Monitoring and Evaluation role.
- Preference for experience working in civil society, governance, advocacy, or rule of law sectors.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform assigned and additional duties and work irregular hours under unpredictable conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate corporate fundraising and/or involve local organizations in creative and innovative ways of programming and measurement;
- Exceptional communications, interpersonal, as well as facilitation and coaching/mentoring skills applied within multi-cultural contexts;
- Demonstrated reporting, writing, communication and relationship management skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, with the ability to prepare reports in English;
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to the field are essential.
- Must be detail-oriented, proactive, and a problem solver
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage a diverse range of professional relationships is essential.
- Able to multitasks and prioritize heavy workload
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission, vision and strategies
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to; email@example.com, quoting position in the email subject matter, by Monday 21st January, 2019.
Applications should include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Kindly note that due to the urgency of the position, CVs will be shortlisted on on-going basis.
PACIDA reserves the right to hire prior to the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
PACIDA is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.