Career Vacancy : UNOPS Kenya Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Technical Services Manager Job Recruitment
Technical Services Manager
Background Information: The Technical Services Unit office is based in Nairobi and will require travel to other UNOPS locations as required by the Hub Director.
Objectives and scope of the position
The Technical Services Unit (TSU) carries out low risk engineering civil works and building structures. This generally involves concept designs, feasibility studies and low/medium risk detailed designs. High risk building and structure designs are outsourced to specialist design firms and then contract managed by the TSU.
The Technical Services Unit (TSU) currently provides design services for Infrastructure Works to Project Managers. We want to continue and further expand technical services to our partners and clients at a wider field of operations.
The TSU currently has 13 permanent and 10 retainer personnel including architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, quantity surveyor and CAD draftsmen as well as support personnel.
The Technical Services Manager will provide leadership, design management and business development for the TSU.
The TSU is a business unit for the Hub and comes under the direction of the Hub Director for East and Southern Africa Hub ( ESAH).
The Technical Services Manager will be required to undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:-
1. Technical Service Management
- Provide leadership, financial control, advice and guidance for infrastructure work undertaken by the TSU;
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities and progress to ensure smooth handover of the work without any issues;
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of progress, sustainability and post project requirements such as revisions);
- Implement approved design work plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the TS Manager and in agreement with the client;
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle;
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved;
- Ensure design office capacity and personnel levels are appropriate and maintained in accordance with workload and budget;
- Lead, motivate, mentor and manage the multidisciplinary TSU team;
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards whilst on mission;
- Establish and maintain schedules and budgets for the design work;
- Serve as the spokesperson and representative for the TSU and the HUB on technical and business matters;
- Conduct regular performance appraisals of personnel;
- Develop and implement a Quality Management System for the office;
- Works closely with the TSU Office Administrator on financial management and oversight of the work including approval of project invoices and ensure the Unit is self-sufficient to operate throughout the year;
- Perform other special projects as instructed by the Hub Director.
2. Partnership Development
- Maintain close contact with clients and pursue future work;
- Prepare expressions of interest and proposals (personnel, resourcing, methodology, proposal preparation and coordination, preparation of financial proposals and quotations etc.) that generate additional revenue and partnerships;
- Define TSU business development strategy for UNOPS that integrates use of the services for increased growth and impact;
- Drive innovation by developing partnerships and recommending new solutions and ideas across the organization that are designed to meet the future challenges of our operations and project delivery for the Hub;
- Perform market analysis and identify potential areas of new work for TSU;
- Support the communication strategy and delivery of information around the TSU’s use of technology solutions for UNOPS;
- Provide, promote and/or facilitate personnel development opportunities (for technical and non-technical personnel in TSU);
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Business, Commerce, or related field;
- A university degree in combination with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Masters University degree;
- Relevant professional certification, membership or similar is desirable.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience managing multi-disciplinary technical team or related is required
- Experience in business development is required
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
How to Apply:
Click on the link below:
Closing date: 05 Feb 2019
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.