Career Vacancy : Head of Finance Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Carolina For Kibera Job Recruitment
We are hiring a Head of Finance!
About Carolina For Kibera (CFK)
We envision communities where every person, regardless of ethnic or economic background, has a voice and an opportunity to realize their full potential. For 17 years, CFK’s approach to participatory community development has been rooted in the conviction that sustainable impact and solutions to poverty are only possible when the community that is most affected by it are the real change-makers.
With a team of 79 staff, CFK has grown from the initial 2 villages in Kibera (30,000 people) to reaching out to about 150,000 people both directly and indirectly through various programs (Primary Healthcare, Girls’ and Youth Empowerment).
One of CFK’s greatest legacies from its roots is that the organisation is managed on a solid establishment of cost-effective programs most of which have been replicated beyond Kibera and affected a larger number of people than earlier envisioned.
Over the next 3 years, we are seeking to make deliberate efforts to expand within Kibera and beyond in order to increase impact, influence national policy and program development.
About The Role
- Strong financial systems are important to support our growth. Building on our successes of solid accounting practices, we are looking for an experienced finance professional with a strategic mindset and analytical ability to take the department to the next level.
- Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the Leadership Team, the Head of Finance will manage the finance team of 3 to provide oversight of all finance, accounting, budgeting and reporting activities supporting CFK’s programs and operations. It is a leadership position involving frequent interaction with the leadership team, donors, the internal affairs committee of the Board and the Boards of Trustees.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, experienced, results-driven and strategic finance leader who is passionate about the latent potential of marginalized communities and can demonstrate experience of leading organizational growth and expansion.
Your Responsibilities Will Include
Financial Strategy and Leadership:
- Develop long-term financial model and regularly monitor financial performance of the organization.
- Lead the development, implementation and periodic review of budgets and support effective program delivery.
- Ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency in delivery of CFK’s 2020 strategy.
- Advise Senior Leadership Team and Board members on financial and organizational effectiveness.
- Provide strategic guidance regarding the related policies, processes and systems necessary to manage the organization’s financial and administrative operation.
- Keep track of and disseminate new developments in the finance sector, and guidelines and information provided by accounting, regulatory, and governance bodies such as ICPAK to ensure adherence to professional ethics and standards.
- Assess, Update, document and implement all necessary financial management policies and accounting procedures to improve the finance department’s efficiency and financial controls.
- Clearly prepare, analyze and communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports for all stakeholders.
- Coordinate and leading the annual audit process including liaising with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Lead participatory annual budgeting process in alignment with organization strategic plan.
- Provide financial management input to support proposal writing, fundraising and resource mobilization initiatives while ensuring cost-efficiency and alignment with overall budget.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting and oversight of all bank accounts and investment vehicles to maintain adequate working capital for the various projects given the various timelines of funds receipt.
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory bodies, tax reporting and other regulatory requirements.
- Ensure completeness, accuracy and recording of all income and expenditures of the organization. Maintain adequate accounting documentation and financial records that adequately support processing of transactions and generation of statement and reports.
- Ensure prudent management of grants and funds received from donors and partners and contribute to building this culture across the organization.
- Manage the payment process for goods, services and utilities.
- Coordinate banking services, reconciliation and custody of funds, securities and financial instruments.
- Oversee monthly payroll procedures.
- Lead consolidation of accounts between Kenya and US office on a monthly basis.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements; monitor progress, prepare financial outlooks and financial forecasts and keep Executive Director and the Internal Affairs Committee abreast of any changes;
- Prepare project budgets and financial reports for international funders;
- Provide financial information to meet the needs of managers including producing customized financial reports, costing templates, trend analysis on an as needed, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Prepare the Annual Report and Internal Affairs committee’s narrative for Board meetings.
- Preparing, communicating and presenting critical financial matters to the Internal Affairs Committee and the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure all compliance practices are implemented based on up to date regulations;
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements;
- Make recommendations for ongoing improvements in functionality of financial systems.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs and program budgets and actual expenses.
- Review balance sheet and income statements for accuracy.
- Manage, develop and mentor small team of finance staff by providing guidance over daily operating financial procedures; and
- Continuously collaborate with Heads of Departments to assess the financial efficacy of program operations;
Other Projects: Support strategic and annual planning and participate in a wide variety of special projects, reports and initiatives as required
Who We Are Looking For:
- At least 6-8 years of accounting and finance experience, demonstrating a clear increase in responsibilities and seniority over time.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a management role at a point of strong organizational growth, with a good track record of preparing regular and useful reports and holding presentations to the board or finance committee.
- Strong experience in non-profit accounting is required, with solid understanding of grant budgets, program finance administration and donor reporting, preferably in a busy medium-sized organization. You are conversant with restricted and unrestricted funding.
- You are a critical thinker and have successfully spearheaded cost efficiency and return on investment conversations in a social impact setting.
- Strong experience managing budget development, analysis and reporting in an organization.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting principles and hands on experience of using computerized financial accounting systems.
- Strong QuickBooks experience is a must (others like Pastel, Navision etc are an aded advantage) and payroll processing packages.
- Demonstrated ability with improving existing and creating and implementing new systems and approaches.
- Well organized, logical thinking decision-maker with an analytical, detailed approach to researching and problem solving.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance related field, an MBA will be an added advantage.
- You posses CPA (K) or ACCA and are a member of a recognised professional accounting body (ICPAK).
You have the cultural fit to join us here at CFK if
- You are bold, appreciate direct and open conversation and collaborate freely with your manager.
- You value freedom, actively drive your work and department and enjoy taking initiative to suggest and own improvement and change projects.
- You easily fit into a youthful and informal work culture.
- You are collaborative, and know to listen to other’s points of view and finding common ground.
Why Work With Us?
- Experience participatory development in action! We are deeply rooted within our community and our programs are informed by their needs.
- We provide lots of autonomy to our team, staff can raise idea, initiate projects and lead change. CFK operates in fluid ways. This creates a lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth.
- Be part of our expansion plans. This roles gives you an opportunity to lead an organization at a point of growth!
This is a full-time position based in Kibera, Nairobi. Ideal start date is in March/April 2019.
We will agree on a 6-month probation period with performance and learning objectives.
Working hours may occasionally extend into the evening.
Only Kenyan citizens are eligible for this position.
Want To Apply?
First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/JoinCFK_Finance
You will upload your CV in PDF format as part of the application. Make sure it is relevant to this role and not more than 3 pages.
Selection process in collaboration with edge
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.