Career Vacancy : Norwegian Refugee Council Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Livelihoods & Food Security Officer Job Recruitment
Norwegian Refugee Council
Livelihoods & Food Security Officer – Kakuma
(Kenya Nationals Only)
Ref. nr.: 4056872683
Number of positions: 1
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Project Officer is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) activities in Turkana West, Turkana County, Kenya. The Project Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of LFS activities in Kakuma camp, Kalobeyei settlement and surrounding host communities and supporting programme development through assessments, stakeholder engagement and coordination.
This includes supporting the development and delivery of NRC’s planned market-based skills training in selected value chains (including online/digital skills and energy) and entrepreneurship and business development training, mentorship and support to refugee and host community youth and local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in partnership with other organisations and private sector actors.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements.
- Implement LFS activities according to strategy, proposal, budget, and plans.
- Prepare periodic status report and other documents as required by management.
- Ensure proper filling of all types of project document.
- Breakdown the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly plans.
- Coordinate with relevant partners and authorities in the project area.
- Ensure that procurement plans, training activities, distribution of equipment/materials and other project activities are done timely and according to procedures.
- Train and develop team.
- Promote and share technical improvement in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Ensure that project team target most beneficiaries in need, and explore new better ways to assist.
- Undertake assessments in relation to employment and income generation opportunities for refugee and host community youths.
- Explore opportunities for digital livelihoods for youths and create linkages with relevant partner organisations and online platforms in coordination with private sector actors including social enterprises.
- Facilitate the establishment and running of workspaces for freelancing in Kalobeyei settlement and Kakuma camps for refugee and host community youths engaged in digital livelihoods.
- In coordination with LFS actors in Kakuma identify potential value chains in Kakuma, analyse them and select a few ones that NRC can focus on developing for benefits of youth groups and SMEs in the area.
- Support the training of SMEs in business management, inventory and finances in coordination with partners and private sector actors.
- Support the delivery of entrepreneurship mentorship and literacy and numeracy training to refugee and host community youth groups/SMEs targeted under our LFS projects.
- Create linkages between SMEs and credit institutions and facilitate agreements on favourable lending and repayment terms.
- Plan, coordinate and work closely with the other core competency teams, particularly Education for skills training activities and ICLA for legal support and civil documentation issues.
- Recommend any potential local partners to the Area Manager for consideration and further due diligence procedures.
- Conduct performance appraisal review meetings with LFS Assistants.
- Ensure timely outcome/output monitoring and post-distribution monitoring (PDM) for all LFS projects.
- Participate in the area level PCM and other coordination meetings
- Implementation of training session for beneficiaries, including preparation of training content and materials and logistic arrangements
- Liaison with NRC partners (local authorities, others) and other stakeholders (returnees, host community, community leaders, CBOs, NGOs, UN) on food security and other related issues, attending relevant coordination meetings and sharing information as requested and agreed with the Area Manager
- Experience running Livelihoods or Food Security projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience in running livelihoods activities, especially digital livelihoods, value chains, linking skills to employment or income generation opportunities, developing business plans, supporting SMEs to grow and assisting refugees or other vulnerable groups to access credit and legal documentation
- Previous experience from working in complex and/or protracted displacement situations is desirable
- Experience of carrying out market assessments
- Understanding of market-based livelihoods programming
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English both written and spoken
- A diploma or bachelor in business management or related subject
- At least 3 year experience in working in livelihoods and food security field. Knowledge of the local context
- Good level of competency in working with social enterprises, online marketing/work platforms is desirable.
- Proved skills and experience in report writing.
- Strong organisational and logistic skill and the ability to work with little infrastructures and function in difficult situation including little transport.
- Knowledge of Juba Arabic, Somali, Kiswahili and other local languages would be an advantage.
Education field: Social science
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Initiate action and chain
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.no to apply online
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Food Security
- Role: Supervisor
Deadline for application: 16/04/2019
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.