Career Vacancy : Senior Program Officer Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Population Reference Bureau Job Recruitment
Population Reference Bureau
Job Vacancy: Senior Program Officer, Kenya
(Based in Nairobi)
Overview: Population Reference Bureau (PRB) is seeking a Senior Program Officer (SPO), based in Nairobi to lead activities of the USAID-supported PACE (Policy, Advocacy, and Communication Enhanced for Population and Reproductive Health) project. PACE ensures that family planning (FP) and population issues are included in policies and programs as key to sustainable and equitable development and economic growth.
In Kenya, PACE increases political and financial commitment for FP and reproductive health (RH) at national, and decentralized levels.
To achieve these goals, the PACE Kenya team works to:
(1) strengthen individual and institutional capacity in advocacy, policy communications, and negotiations;
(2) increase commitment for multisectoral approaches to integrate population, health, environment, climate change, resilience, food security, livelihoods, and security programs at policy and program levels; and
(3) analyze, synthesize, and disseminate data and information to engage policy and advocacy audiences to act.
PACE Kenya focuses on ensuring that program-based budgets in Busia, Narok, and Samburu counties prioritize funding for Reproductive Health, Maternal, Newborn, Child, and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH). The project also engages with national government to support leadership on population policy development and implementation. and support our programs in areas of international population, women’s health, family planning, and development.
The Senior Program Officer will work under the leadership and supervision of the Deputy Project Director and liaise closely with DC-based PRB International Program Staff. He/she will lead county activities in Narok and coordinate the work of county-based consultants in Busia and Samburu as well as with technical expert(s) across the project.
Globally, PRB has been at the cutting edge of synthesizing complex information for non-technical audiences; making quality information available in accessible formats; and nurturing communities where researchers and practitioners can exchange knowledge.
PRB staff are experts in family planning, reproductive health, and population, including gender and youth, and in knowledge management, advocacy, communications, journalism, digital/multimedia, and research.
- Manages county-level budget advocacy efforts in Busia, Narok, and Samburu counties to build capacity of county government in program-based budgeting and shore up commitments to RMNCAH.
- Conducts training for youth advocates and members of the media on how to communicate with policymakers to strengthen political commitments to FP and RH.
- Supports PRB activities in Kenya, including facilitating communication with in-country and US based stakeholders and partners, and representing PRB at meetings/ events.
- Leads the development and implementation of policy advocacy strategies, action plans, and tools. Tools could include producing policy briefs and other written advocacy materials.
- Designs and oversees activity implementation, deliverables, and workplan inclusive of monitoring consultants and sub-awards to ensure deliverables are submitted on time and within budget.
- Oversees and adjusts activity budget, including staff time and other direct costs.
- Works with administrative staff to manage logistics for meetings, workshops, and policy dialogues as well as preparing participant materials.
- Under the guidance of the Deputy Project Director, takes a lead role in carrying out activities including workplan development and implementation, consultant oversight, reporting as well as budget oversight.
- Monitors and documents project outcomes and impacts.
- Meets USAID project reporting requirements in a timely and comprehensive manner, in coordination with other PRB staff.
- Liaises with USAID mission staff; the role may include briefing donors/partners on project activities and participating in partner-supported conferences or meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, sociology, demography, or another related field plus at least 7 years of project management experience or master’s degree and at least 5 years of project management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize according to staff needs and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, with ability to work in the evenings to participate in meetings with US-based PRB staff.
- Familiarity with family planning, reproductive health, and/or population stakeholders in Kenya.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and oral presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Skype, GoToMeeting and other web-based communication platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with stakeholders, local partners, host country governments, and international donor agencies—especially USAID.
- Willingness to travel within Kenya to implement project activities (up to 40%).
- Kenya National or legal Resident with the ability to work legally in Kenya without sponsorship.
- Familiarity with USAID reporting mechanisms and databases.
- Holds established relationships with Kenyan reproductive health and demographic institutions and stakeholders, with firsthand knowledge of the capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses of these institutions and stakeholders.
- Significant experience in population, family planning, and reproductive health issues in Kenya.
- Experience working with Population, Health, and Environment (PHE) implementing organizations.
- Experience conducting policy analyses, using data and evidence to advocate for policy change, and designing advocacy strategies.
- Solid skills in translating data, synthesizing, and writing for non-technical policy audiences.
- Experience working with Kenyan government institutions and parastatal organizations.
Travel: This position requires travel within Kenya, up to 40 percent of the time
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. An excellent benefit package will be offered.
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Program Officer”.
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled)
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.